Written by Vera Coetsee, Health and Nutrition Coach
9 March 2023
When it comes to healthy looking skin, many of us have heard of or even tried collagen supplements. Collagen makes up a third of your body’s total protein and has many benefits that go beyond just skin health. It can be found in your skin, bones, muscles, teeth, tendons, ligaments, our digestive system and blood vessels. It gives skin elasticity and holds our joints together.
Types of Collagen
There are many different collagen types. Our bodies are primarily made of type I, type II and type III. Type I collagen is the strongest and gives skin its stretch and elasticity, and it also helps keep hair and nails strong. Type II collagen is responsible for building connective tissue and cartilage such as in your eyes, nose, rib cage and joints. Finally, type III collagen works alongside type I in the skin, ligaments, blood vessels, and joints. It also promotes skin health and elasticity.
5 Health Benefits of Collagen
- Improves and strengthens your hair, skin, teeth and nails – a higher intake of collagen will make your skin look firmer and smoother.
- It can help with digestion by repairing your intestinal lining – collagen can help seal your intestines and repair leaky gut.
- Reduce joint pain and acts as an anti-inflammatory – collagen can help ligaments, tendons and joints work smoothly.
- Helps support your liver and detox systems – the amino acid, glycine, found in collagen helps protect your liver from toxins and can help repair liver damage.
- Protects your heart and cardiovascular health – collagen may help repair arteries, clear fat deposits, and can help reduce blood pressure.
Collagen & Skin
Collagen makes up 75% of the dry weight of skin and gives your skin structure, which helps keep it firm and smooth. It also plays an important role in skin cell turnover. As we age, your natural collagen production begins to decline. The decline in collagen is responsible for the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. For women, there’s often a marked drop around menopause, related to the decline in estrogen. Smoking, poor diet and sun exposure all contribute to free radical damage which also attacks collagen.
Collagen Induction Therapy & Dermapen
Dermapen treatments are a type of Collagen Induction Therapy. They work by creating thousands of controlled wounds in the skin to naturally trigger the body’s collagen production. These treatments offer a resolved proliferative response and scarless wound healing, and promotes better skin quality, functionality, regeneration, and integrity.
About our Anti-Ageing Skin Program
Our anti-ageing program targets ageing skin that starts around the age of 40’s to 50’s due to hormonal decline during perimenopause or menopause. The lack of collagen can cause fine lines or wrinkles to start appearing and the skin starts to sag and loses volume. This program starts with our signature anti-aging organic facial that massages the lymphatics of the face and neck to enhance lymph flow and detoxification. The IV skin glow infuses high dose Vitamin C and antioxidants to enhance the radiance of the skin and reduce pigmentation.